Sunday, December 11, 2005

He Took Me To The Ball


I don't know how I did it...But I got Mike to take me to the International Club Christmas Ball. Anyone who knows Mike well knows how much he dislikes (to put it mildly) dancing. I had a fabulous time, and I'm pretty sure Mike had a good time too. Here is how the evening went:

I spent the day taking the sisters from our group to Metro(a large grocery store that is far from town, but has more foreign products than other places) for our Enrichment activity. Then I tried to finish up some Christmas shopping for the kids. On the way home, I asked the driver to please stop if he saw a flower shop, so that I could get some flowers for me from Mike (he thought that was pretty funny). Unfortunately, there was no flower shop to be seen, but that's ok, cause Mike got me a hot water-bottle the other day for my eternal teeth chattering. That was pretty romantic, right?.

I dressed up in the Chinese-style dress I had made (I didn't make it, I had it made), and Mike in his silk brocade tie. Off we rode to the ball in our big silver pumkin (the Transit). We skipped the coctails, and arrived just in time for dinner. The name of the ball this year was It's Red, It's hot, It's happening... But the tickets didn't read right... they say It's Happening, It's hot, It's red... Am I the only one who thinks that sounds a bit odd?

It's all ok though, cause the ball was fantastic! Each course of the meal was introduced with a different theme. Course one, the women were all dressed in ancient Chinese dress and carrying lanterns, with music. The waitors, about 50 of them, all came in and served in unison. In the second course, there was a person dressed as a big tomato, with the music," you say tomato, I say tomato". They brought the third course in with patriotic Chinese music, and all dressed in military fatigues. They called that "the long red march". Finally, they all dressed as devils and brought in dessert. Dinner was quite the production!

It was so much fun to visit with many people we have met here. Everyone was so dressed up. The best part of the evening was that Mike danced with me for over two hours! He did a great job, even when we were faking "proper-dancing". He told a friend that he was dancing because "Lonnie loves to dance, and I love Lonnie." Who needs flowers after that?????