Sunday, February 26, 2006

February 26, 2006


Jay and Mom in "Holland".

Here, Jay is learning to make pasta in "Italy".

A pose with our Super-bowl party maniquin.




On Monday, I went for a walk with a couple of friends around Mochu lake. That was an experience! We saw fishermen with big nets, and lots of jumping, smelly, fish. We saw lots and lots of Tai zhi going on, we even saw a huge choir singing at the top of their lungs. They meet there quite often, apparently, and just sing together for fun. They all looked so happy. There were people practicing their instruments, and people exercising. And there was a sign that said," NO SPEELING". ??? The unfortunate thing, is that I forgot my camera! But the good news, is that I'm going to Mochu lake tomorrow morning, and I will NOT forget it this time. So, I guess there is some reason to come back and check out the blog next week now...

Rachel and Nicole started their sports this week. Nicole is playing volleyball with the middle-school, and Rachel is on the high-school soccer team, due to a shortage of interested girls. They are both having a good time. I was able to go and see Caitlin and Jay at school during their "open day". It was fun to see the things they are working on. Eli was busy at home washing dishes with milk, working on his alphabet, and scaring his mother for about 25 minutes when he snuck out to the "neighborhood junkyard" (as he told me). Apparently, it's the place the workers take all of the trash until the garbage truck comes. I found out that morning that it is a popular spot with the kids. He won't be scaring Mommy like that again! Mike was informed this week by a fellow male Chinese employee, that the female Chinese employees have decided that Mike is the best-looking man in the office. I could have told them that!

This Saturday was International Day at the school. Every country represented by children at the school, did a room. There were 19 countries represented. This year the theme was "something your country is known for". There are six families from the U.S. We did a Superbowl theme. We didn't have much in the way of Superbowl decor, but we pulled in couches, and had popcorn, Oreos, Pringles, and pop. We couldn't find any football footage, so we showed part of a football movie over and over. Not the best room of the day, but considering none of us had ever been to International Day before, we didn't do too bad. The kids had a great time getting a passport book stamped, and seeing and tasting things from different countries.

Today, Mike and I were supposed to speak in Church. Well, Caitlin's ear has a stubborn infection that is resistant to the antibiotics, so we have to take her in every day to have her ear treated. Of course, the time that the doctor was in his office on a Sunday was 11:00, right when church starts. I think this is the last time I'll prepare early! Because, on Friday, when we found out about the Sunday doctor visit, I happened to have more done on my talk than Mike. I was the lucky one who got to stay home and give my talk, and Mike took her to the doctor. Bishop McMullen gave a fine talk in Michael's place (from the Saturday Morning Conference Session), and it was very thoughtful of Mike to pair me with someone I know, since he couldn't speak with me:-)