Sunday, April 23, 2006

April 22, 2006

When the Relief Society decided they wanted to meet at the Carioka Brazilian BBQ for Enrichment, I was pretty excited. I remembered Chad, my brother, telling me how wonderful Brazilian BBQ is. I have never had a chance to try it out. Well, it was looking good. There was a big Fiberglas pig as we walked in...A pretty good sign. The walls were covered in Bathing Brazilian Beauties. The restaurant was full! When I looked over at the buffet, I was a little disappointed, all I could see was Chinese Food. But, I thought, it must just be the side-dishes, cause they are going to come around with all of that meat! Well, soon they started to come by. First, they offered BBQ tofu, And then some Tofu meat balls. After that, they came by with some chicken hearts. The next round was actually some roast beef (that was so rare, I didn't dare try it). There were a couple of sausage sort of things, and some hot bananas and pineapple. I should have known better. What was I dreaming??? Oh well, I had a great visit with the ladies.

This last Friday was Nicole's 12th Birthday sleep-over. She had 7 girls over. Nicole is the only native English speaker in her grade. She has a German friend and an Austrian friend. The three of them are pretty close. The other five were Korean girls, also from Nicole's grade. I was a bit worried, because I wanted Nicole to have a fun party, and the Korean girls tend to click together and speak Korean. I was so pleasantly surprised! The girls all had a wonderful time. They made pizzas, and played every party game you can think of. Nicole wanted so badly to have s'mores for her birthday treat. I ordered some marshmallows and graham crackers from Shanghai, and got some chocolate. They each put some marshmallows on the end of a chopstick, and roasted them over the gas stove. They all had a blast! And they loved the s'mores. Nicole explained that Americans make these over an open-fire while camping. We provide such cultural experiences at our home:-). Everything went great, but the next morning, some of the Korean girls couldn't handle all of those sweet cereals, and muffins, and asked for noodles. Thank goodness I had some! I think these girls may have had more sugar than they have had in their entire life-time at the sleep-over. I wonder if their parents will ever speak to me.

We are so excited for my Mom and Dad to come and visit this next week. I'm sure we'll have some fun stories to share. Maybe I should take them to the Brazilian BBQ. Don't worry Mom and Dad, I'll make sure I have spicy noodles in the house for breakfast.