Sunday, August 20, 2006

The first week of school...

This has been a very eventful week for us. We started it with Jay’s seventh birthday last Sunday. He is very happy to be seven. He had some great celebrations in Utah with Grandparents, and we had a cake and some presents for his birthday, here. On Saturday, Mike and I had taken him for a pizza lunch, which was fun. Jay is growing up so fast. He is such a sweet kid. We all love him.

On Monday, school started. On Sunday, Michael had given each of the children the traditional Father’s Blessing, and everyone felt ready. Every one of my children is in school all day now! This is one of those days you don’t really see coming so soon. Eli was so happy to go to the same school as his brothers and sisters. He has loved every day so far. The first day, I had to insist I take him. He was sure Jay could just drop him off! I don’t think so! I had shed my tears Sunday night before I went to sleep, so I didn’t make a scene and embarrass him on his first day. I was worried about being lonely. I was so busy this week, there was no time for loneliness!

The children all had a great week. I think they are all looking forward to the many activities they have coming up. They all signed up for their after-school activities for the first quarter. Eli is doing a group game class, and a cooking class. Jay is doing Student Council, and a basketball class. Caitlin is doing scrap booking and computer club. Nicole is doing Student Council, volleyball, rugby, and yearbook. Rachel is doing Student Council, volleyball, and rugby. They will all stay busy! Rachel, Nicole and I started our running training this week. We get up Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and go at 5:45 for 45 minutes. To start we are running one minute, and walking the next. We will keep building on that.

The first while after we got back, I was struggling to adjust to the China scene, again. I didn’t expect this, as I had been doing just fine before the summer. But this week, I really have overcome my first initial culture shock. I think it really did the trick when I went running on Tuesday morning, after the kids went to school. It was already really quite hot, and so humid, but I really thought I could do it anyway. I ran my favorite route, to the cemetery. First I ran past the little cottages, usually so full of life. They were all rubble. I was saddened by this, and realized how blessed I am to be in a large beautiful house. They are filled with transient people from the country, and when the construction is finished, they move on. I ran past an old man who just looked right at me and laughed (crazy lady). I ran past the dump baking in the humid heat. Wow! That was potent. I had to move out of the way of a man and his water-buffalo, walking down the street. There was a woman pulling her greens for sale in her handcart, and a man pulling an old beat up window AC in his. By the time I got to the cemetery, the old me was back! I was happy to be here in China. The place where every sense is awakened, and something to learn around every corner. Of course, I had to walk home, because I don’t think I had an ounce of liquid left in my body with that heat!

I started a very challenging exercise class this week, joined a great charity organization, started on the school parent committee I’ve agreed to be on, and had lots of fun with my kids after school. I also found a great Italian Ice-cream shop, and while Mike and I were on our date, were lucky enough to run into the Nanjing Police Talent night at the park. At least, that is what we think it must have been. We saw about 20 policemen marching and doing fancy drills with their whistles. Wow! It was really hard not to laugh. Later, some of them sang, and then there was a brass band. We wondered if there was an unusual jump in the theft- rate that night.

We are all ready for this next year, and look forward to the adventures it will bring...