Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Love to Dance

The time is flying by again. Why is it that as soon as school starts, the weeks just pass before your eyes? I never thought that when I was in school. A few things that happened this last week:

On Wednesday, I had a friend who was sick. I decided to make some soup and breadsticks for her. I asked the driver to please take me to the store, and then pick up the food when it was ready, and take it to my friend. When we got to the house, after going to the store, Jiang asked if he could please watch me cook. I thought he was joking, but no. So Jiang came in, while Wan (our ayi) was ironing clothes in the kitchen (it is not lost on me how spoiled this all sounds, having an ayi and a driver). They both watched me make the chicken vegetable soup, and the breadsticks. They were intrigued, and discussed every move I made, especially with the breadsticks. They have never seen an oven work. I was like their child, as they watched proudly, making comments and talking about me as I went. They were making jokes about coming to work for us when we move back to America, and we were teaching each other words in Chinese, and English. The breadsticks were a hit, but Jiang didn't want to try the cream soup. He informed me he doesn't eat milk with vegetables. Hmm...

On Saturday morning, Mike and I decided to wake up early and go for a bike ride to Purple Mountain. It isn't too close, so I guess only Mom and Dad Russon can know to be impressed by our ride:-) Anyway, don't be too impressed, the mountain isn't like the Wasatch Front or anything. Its more like really big hills. Well, we had a great time. We went to Sun Yat San's mausoleum. It is a pretty impressive structure, and beautiful, with the trees and the view. There are 400 stairs leading to the tomb, which my friends and I have been known to make an exercise excursion out of by doing the stairs several times. I did them twice that morning, but Mike refused. He just didn't see the enjoyment. We got back in time to get the kids breakfast, and I can't wait to go again!

On Monday night, for Family Night, we watched part of the Founding Fathers movie Mike's Grandpa Smith gave us for Christmas. It was great. We are also learning the Pledge of allegiance. Eli was supposed to share a food from the USA today at school, so we all made Toll House Cookies as well. It was great having our "Patriotic" night, and we will continue for the next few Mondays. While the kids are learning all sorts of wonderful things about the world, they aren't getting all of our U.S. history, and we don't want them to miss out!

Tonight, Mike had meetings, so he stayed late to work. Poor guy missed out on our dance party. We turned on our recessed-blue (yes, blue) rope lights and danced to the great 80's music that Emily burned for us, as well as some Bangles, and show tunes. Poor Mike! We all know how he loves to dance. This, at least, I am proud to have passed on to my kids...They all LOVE to dance, like their Mamma! We may not be good, but we have heart.