Monday, April 20, 2009

April 4, Mike's 40th Birthday

Michael just turned 40!!! We are so relieved he made it. Don't worry, Honey, you don't look a day over 39. I bet his mother wondered if he would make it to this ripe old age, with all of the stories we've heard about his childhood. Anyway, we had a great "birthday" weekend, roasting him as much as possible. His Mom sent a bunch of great "Over the hill" birthday stuff. I sent some of it to work on Friday with some cookies to share. I thought it only right for his co-workers to share in the mourning. That night we went out to dinner with some friends. It was lots of fun. I have some nice photos, of that, but I'm having a hard time getting the photos off of my memory card. I will have to add them later if I can fix it. All of my photos from today are from the girls' camera.

At the dinner, our friends Julie and Warren gave Mike a lovely aging kit, and they even gave him some special black hair color, so that his hair can be permanently black like all of the older Chinese people. They gave him several funny things, including some reading glasses that he actually wears now as normal glasses. They were meant to be a joke! I took the blow-up portable toilet that Mike's family sent. We had lots of fun making fun of him.

On Saturday, I spent 10 US dollars, and got some English muffins. I had to swallow really hard with that purchase! I made him Eggs Benedict, which he enjoyed so much he wanted them again for lunch. I sent him to a really nice place for a massage that afternoon, so that we could decorate the house with all of the rest of the decorations his Mom sent. The kids had a great time with that! Both his family and my family sent a cd with everyone wishing him a happy birthday, and lots of them making fun of him. It was great! He loved it. The kids and I joined in and taped a "meeting" about what we would do when he passed away, because he was surely to go any time now that he is forty! It was funny, with the girls fighting over who got his Ipod and his National Geographic Magazines...all million of them. Then they talked about his obituary, and practiced a song (and they were terrible! We just are. That wasn't an act) Anyway, it was all really fun. We acted like it was "accidentally" on the cd, and that he wasn't supposed to see it. The kids did really well and didn't even laugh during our production. For a while, he thought it was real and asked, " Did you know it was being filmed?" The highlight was the dvd Diane sent of Mike's photos growing up. We all really enjoyed looking at all of them, and Mike loved it. We had a great evening.

Mike is such a great husband and father. Everyone who knows him can't help but love him. We are so blessed to have him. I love you Mike! Here are a few photos of your great day...

Diane sent some silly string, and the boys loved getting Mike with that!!!



And here he is, testing out his porta-potty. I think he almost popped it!


Coli is trying on the special glasses grandma sent along with several other "gag gifts".


Rachel's gift was his favorite birthday cake! Home-made chocolate.



Yes, he looks pretty scared. I think he's nervous he can't blow out all of those candles. And we didn't even really have 40 on that cake...


Here is a special Chinese Candle that my friend Melissa found for me. Wow, it was something special!