Sunday, September 25, 2005

Rugby Tournament in Shanghai



Yesterday, we left at 6:00am and traveled the 3 hours to Shanghai. Of course, once you get to Shanghai, it takes forever to get where you are going. It is a huge city. Rachel and Nicole had gone the day before with their Rugby team. We got to see them play. It was great. The tournament was at an American School. When we went into the gate, it was like we were in a mini America! There were houses everywhere that looked just like houses you would see in Canton, Michigan! It was so surreal. The girls played great! They had so much fun. It was a beautiful day, and there were teams from International Schools all over the area. It was fun to see the girls' different styles of playing. They had two teams from our school, so we had to be two places at once sometimes. I think I should mention that it was touch-rugby, so thank heaven, no tackling! The teams are co-ed, so I wonder if that adds to the fun for the girls.
After the tournament, we wanted to go get winter coats for the family. We went to Xian Yang Market. I don't think I've ever seen so many people in my life! We went bargaining, and got North Face coats for everyone. They could be fake, but they are the best fakes we've seen. They even have gortex, and waterproof zippers. And...here's an exciting thing...american sizing! (I am an amazon woman here! I can bearly fit into clothes, if I can find extra extra large. And only men's shoes) Anyway, we bought 7 really nice coats for less than 150.00 We were pretty happy about that. I really could have spent more time there, but unfortunately, our driver doesn't know his way around Shanghai at all, so we spent too much time lost. Then it was time to turn around and head home. It was a long day, but worth it!